Saturday, April 3, 2010

Japan

Cover Image

A Kaleidoscope Kids Book
written by Debbi Michiko Florence
illustrated by James Caputo
Ideals Publications, 2009
Genre: Children's nonfiction; activity book
Reading Level: Ages 12 and up
96 pages

This book about Japan is a really cool book, but a little hard to explain. On each page there is a little information about Japan and then a really cool activity to go along with it, but so I don't have to take up all of this blog with an explanation of each of these pages, I'll just list out a few of my favorites. On one of the pages is some information about Mount Fuji that is located a little over 60 miles SW of Tokyo, and is 12,385 feet. On the next section of the page it shows kids how to make their own volcano, and then how to make it erupt! Now what kid wouldn't love that? On another page, entitled "Castles of Wood" it talks about all the Japanese castles that have been built during times of peace and what they symbolize and on the next section of the page it talks about how to design your own fortress. Probably my last favorite one was the page on the art of paper folding, or origami which is the art of folding papers into shapes. Then obviously the next part of the page teaches how to make a paper goldfish. It's so cool.

I would recommend this to any child who likes mixing learning and activities.

I can think of no controversy that would come from this book.

I really enjoyed this book. Reading about Japan and even trying out some of the activities, I learned things I had never learned and was extremely entertained. I can just imagine a young kid having a lot of fun and learning a lot.

My rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment