Friday, January 29, 2010

Creation


Written and Illustrated by Gerald McDermott
Dutton Children's Books, 2003
Genre: Children's Picture book
Reading Level: Ages 4-8
32 pages

Creation is a child's picture book that describes the creation of the world and the surrounding universe. It starts off with the creation of light, and thus a distinction between night and day. Then moves to the creation of water and earth; then then creation of the sun, moon, and starts (the lights of heaven). Followed by the creation of the creatures of the sky, water, and land. Finally, the creation of man and woman "the keepers of all this beauty." It seems to somewhat follow the seven day creation beliefs of many different religions. There's also a religious tone in the last line where the narrator says, "I am all this. All this I am."

I would recommend this book to any child seeking unique and beautiful pictures, a Christian home, and a child eager for clever words and descriptions.

I feel the most obvious conflict that could come from this book would be the age old argument of evolution or a God's creation of the world.

I surprisingly liked this book, at first I didn't know if i would because it seemed of a different style that i wasn't sure if i would enjoy. The pictures were very unique and vibrant and a beautiful portrayal of creation. The words flowed nicely and poetically and i was drawn in. However, though it was beautiful and well done it was not one of my favorites, i just liked it more than i expected.

My rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment