Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar


written and illustrated by Eric Carle
Penguin Group, 1994
Genre:Children's picture book; teaching
Reading level: ages 2-4
13 pages

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is the sweet story of a caterpillar who has just come out of his egg and is so hungry that he eats a lot. On Monday he eats 1 apple on Monday, 2 pears on Tuesday, and leads up to a bunch of different foods on Saturday like cake, watermelon, a pickle, cherry pie, and a lot of other foods. Then of course the caterpillar becomes very sick. Until luckily he finds a nice green leaf and eats it to settle his stomach. Now the caterpillar is very fat and builds a cocoon for himself where sleeps for two weeks until he nibbles a hole in it and comes out as a beautiful butterfly.

I would recommend this book to a child that likes entertaining books and is learning and the days of the week and learning to count.

I can't think of a conflict that could come from reading this book to a child.

As a kid growing up this was one of my favorite books to read at night. Of course my mom didn't like reading it to me because it always made her hungry. I also enjoyed the little holes the caterpillar seemingly made in the book by the caterpillar. I can't wait until i get to read this to my children and see their delighted eyes. I personally learned the days of the week from this book, and still relate the specific foods to those days of the week. It's amazing what sticks :).

My rating: 5 out of 5

Ever wonder why the caterpillar comes out of a cocoon and not a chrysalis? Found out now!

No comments:

Post a Comment